Name: Judith Chong

Credits

Tropical Getaway Version 1.01 - "As bright as the sun..." is designed by Princess Sabrina.


The ingredients used to put it all together includes, PHP, CSS, XHTML, Adobe & Macromedia, Creativity, and not forgetting, Inspiration.

* Best viewed at 1024 x 768.
Powered by Blogger
Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]
 

The Giver Reflection Blog

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Entry #6 Allocation of Assignments

Yesterday, we discussed in our Language Arts groups about the allocation of Assignments in Jonas’s community in class. Through the discussion with my group members and through analyzing it with Ms Li, I learnt that not all the Assignments in Jonas’s community were equal and respected and that the system of allocating the people their Assignments reflected that the society was pragmatic.

Even though the Elders tried to make everyone and everything in the community alike and fair, and to create sameness within the community, it was not possible. All the Assignments in the community were supposed to be equal and respected, but this was not the case. This is evident from the fact that there were certain assignments in the community which were more respected than others and also certain assignments that were looked down on. For example, being The Receiver of Memory was thought to be ‘the most important job in the community’ and whoever took on the job was ‘greatly honoured’. Also, people were not ASSIGNED to be The Receiver if Memory, but were ‘SELECTED’. There would only be one person to be selected as the Receiver but as for other Assignments, many people could be assigned to that same Assignment. Hence, this shows that the Assignment of being The Receiver of Memory was more respected as compared to the other assignments. On the other hand, Assignments such as Birthmothers and Night Crew Workers at the Nurturing Centre were looked down upon. It was thought to have ‘very little honour’ in being a Birthmother and ‘lacking in prestige’. Night Crew Nurturing was known to be ‘a lesser job’ where ‘those who lacked the interest or skills or insight for the more vital jobs of the daytime hours’ would be assigned to. These people lacked ‘the essential capacity to connect with others’. Hence, this shows that there were Assignments in the community which were looked down upon and not all the Assignments in the community were equal and respected.

The system of allocating the people their Assignments reflects that Jonas’s society was pragmatic. The Elders were practical in choosing the Assignments for the people. This is evident from the fact that they chose the people’s Assignments based on their strengths and what they excelled in, and not where their interests lay. The Elders would observe the Elevens ‘at recreation time and during volunteer hours’ so that they could allocate the Assignments before the Ceremony of the Twelves. They were very ‘careful in their observations and selections’. This way, the Elders ensured that every position and role was filled in by the most suitable person in the community so that the community could function well. Thus, this shows that Jonas’s society was a pragmatic society.

After analyzing the allocation of Assignments in Jonas’s society, I feel very glad that I am able to decide what I would like to do and work as when I grow up. I would very much rather choose a job that I have interest for, than what I excel in. This is because to me, to be able to enjoy doing something, one must have love and passion for it. Hence, if I do not like what I work as and what I work for, I would not find joy and happiness while working. Therefore, I am very glad and grateful that I can make this decision of deciding my future on my own.


4 Comments:

  • At July 28, 2010 at 11:03 PM , Blogger alethea sim said...

    Hey Judith!
    I totally agree with you that we will find joy and happiness in doing the work we truly enjoy and have a passion for. If I had to be stuck with a job that I dreaded, I would definitly not be able to enjoy my work and will not look forward to it each day.
    I am very grateful that we live in society whereby we can choose the jobs we want to take up in the future and have have aspirations for the future. Only in this way, i feel that we will aim for the acheivements we wish to get and strive to reach them.
    I pity the people living in The Giver's socity, in which they have no choice in the jobs they take up for life. All their Assignments are carerfully assigned to the people according to their abilities and talents. They are not given the opportunity to do the work they enjoy and love but have to stick with the jobs assigned to them. In such a society, the people will not be able to fully enjoy the work they do and will have no aspirations for their future.
    It is truly very heartbreaking to have to live in a society whereby the job assigned to you is simply for the benefit of the community and just because the Elders feel that you are the best person for the role. Futhermore, in a society like The Giver's, where the jobs are assigned based on one's abilities, there will inevitably be a hierachy in the community and just like you said, acheiving "Sameness" will be impossible.
    I sympathise for the people in The Giver's society because some of them will have to be assigned the jobs of "low honour" just like the Birthmother and they will have to live with the teaching that "this is the role that you suit the best."
    I am very thankful I do not live in a community like The Giver's!:)

     
  • At July 29, 2010 at 1:26 AM , Blogger The Giver said...

    Hi judith!

    After reading your post, I completely agree on how there will never be that element of "sameness". As you have so rightfully pointed out that there are certain jobs such as birth mothers or night crew workers that are looked down upon by the rest of society.

    Thus very honestly, I sympathize with those who receive the shorter end of the stick. Being looked down upon and discriminated by society for a choice that was not up to them to decide. I am quite sure that the people who were assigned these "low honour" jobs would feel some kind of resentment towards this. Their opinion on the matter was completely ignored to suit the needs of society. Although like you have pointed out, this is a something very practical, like you I value a society which gives people the right to choose. I value a society which is able to reward people based on their merit. It is only when this is done will there be purpose and meaning to life because it gives the people something tangible to work towards!

    I have such a deep rooted belief towards this because in the future, I hope to be able to see my hard work pay off. When I am able to decide for myself what I want in life and not a committee of elders. For example, my dream of being lawyer may be crushed because the role of a lawyer may not be in the best interest for my society. This thought is simply devastating as it would mean that all my hard work and perseverance was for nothing.

    Therefore, I definitely share the same views as you, that we should be given the freedom to choose! In order to achieve true happiness in life!

    Annette!

     
  • At January 31, 2018 at 11:04 AM , Blogger A Guy said...

    HELLO THERE FRENDOS

     
  • At January 31, 2018 at 11:04 AM , Blogger A Guy said...

    UH IUSBJWH UWJHS HSW SWHbsH sWHbwhsbWHBJHBWHJBbwHJS WSHB SWjbHSW WjBSHWbS W hSJHWbSJWHbSJHWbSHJbwJBSjhwBSJhbWSjbhwbshbWHJ jwhBSjhwMBShjWbs jhbwSjhwmBSjwhbsJHbsHJbjh HWjhb SWhjbs wjhS

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home